Thursday, December 1, 2011

Water for Elephants

"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse." (p. 12)

This is a quote from the book "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Throughout the novel, the narration switches points of view from the narrator as an old man to him as a young man.This structure is, firstly, parallel to the quote. This is because, just when, in the story, you think you know what will happen, you discover something, and then the point of view switches and leaves you in suspense. However, it is not just suspense for suspense's sake, the points of view give complimentary views ans facts that help you piece together an accurate picture of the man and the plot line. It also reveals a greater depth in the views and motivations of the characters.

This quote serves to illustrate Gruen's message for the novel. That life is unpredictable, and not all will ever go as planned. The structure of the novel helps to emphasize the theme illuminated by this quote. When the story is being told from the point of view of him as an old man, he is reflecting on how these things have changed him, whereas this is the opposite of him as a young man - confident, and sure of what will be, or at least sure of what he wants. The reflection serves to not only give conclusion onto what happens into the story, but show the more calm and reflective side of the man. He recognizes that these changes were now meant to be, whereas at the time, he might not have recognized their significance. 

on a side note- The message is artfully executed, I liked how she almost plainly stated her message at the beginning so you can reflect on it as you are reading, and realize how each of the plot devices and even the structure flow together. A good read- 7 out of 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I blogged about it too. I really didn't like when Jacob was narrating through his old-man self, I found myself always getting bored and always wanting to skip over those chapters to get back to the juicy stuff. The problem with skipping over those chapters is missing the important glimpses of Jacob's past that we only see when he is in his Home. Did you see the movie? I thought it was terrible. I saw it after I read the book and wondered how anybody could like the movie when no relationships were built between characters. I was on the verge of tears when Walter was redlighted, but when it happened in the movie it didn't make sense that Jacob was crying when their relationship was not built to the same extent as it was in the book.

Andrea said...

I started reading this like a year or so ago but then stopped. I cannot remember why. I recently saw the movie and I want to read the book now. I’m kind of scared to read it though because the abuse of the elephant. It really depresses me and I kind of don’t want to get in a funky mood right now. In the movie, it was terrible. So I was just wondering, if it is as bad in the book? Sometimes movies’ make it worse to add drama. The parts of the book that I did read, I liked. I think that the only thing that would upset me, if I read it again, would be the abuse of the elephant even if it does have a happy ending.

Andrea said...

I also agree with Lauren about how it was slow when Jacob was narrating through his old man self because I think that was why I stopped reading. I remember that I would get bored which probably made me stop reading it the first time.